Straits Times compiled a few statistics to emphasize that Singapore is ranking high in various categories.
- #2 in the world for nightlife and dining according to the Global Country Brand Index. #1 is Italy and #3 is United States. I find this interesting as young locals (20 – 30-somethings) frequently talk about how the nightlife here sucks and how there is tons more to do in other cities. I have always disagreed with this – Singapore has very diverse nightlife options.
- 3 local restaurants in world’s top 100 – British magazine “Restaurant” ranked Iggy’s 60th, Les Amis 83rd, and My Humble House 94th. I rank Sing Ho Chicken rice #1 because I can get garlic-flavored rice and delicious steamed chicken for 3 bucks, but I suppose I am probably using a different criteria than “Restaurant” magazine…
- 8th in top 10 travel destinations list – Ranked by the World Economic Forum, whose Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report checked out 124 territories
- 17th Most Livable City – Ranked by British lifestyle magazine “Monocle”
- 34th in quality of living – Best among Asian cities. This was ranked by Mercer Human Resource Consulting
Not too shabby for such a small country, eh?